Welcome!

Even though I am moved by the graceful motion of horses, I am not a Horse Whisperer. Even though I have a special relationship with most dogs, I am not a Dog Whisperer. When it comes to good wine, however, I am the Wine Sipperer!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Oh, for a good Amarone!

On my way to a conference last week, I had a lay-over in Dallas.  It so happened that in my terminal was a wine bar! I had to stop in and do a little shelf reading -- and a tasting -- as I had over an hour before they boarded for my flight to Phoenix. Vino Volo's attend was Chad, a very polite and knowledgeable fellow.

Chad directed me to a Costasera Amarone Classico 2008 by Masi made from Corvina, Rondinella, and Molinara grapes -- three indigenous grape varieties grown in the Veneto region of Italy. The fruit flavors and rich complexity were outstanding. After a sip, I just had to sit and savor the long, luscious finish. I love plum, fig, black cherry -- it had all those and hints of vanilla and cocoa. This DOC Amarone Della Valpolicella -- made from grapes  that have been partially dried --  is a well structured, delightfully complex, Italian red wine, but be careful as it is 15% alcohol by volume. Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment